
This isn't a tale of heroic feats or merely another of my narratives of serious proportions but an insight into the ironical implication of what was supposed to be 'fun' in the end :D
As I drove past the road sign on the NH17 along a vast empty stretch from Panjim to Vasco on a sunday morning, with one eye on the road sign displaying '70' and the other on the irresistible empty stretch that lay ahead, I had to make a choice. Either go by the rules as a responsible driver as usual[or should I say occasional?] or break the rules and give way for some adrenaline rush that's been building up inside for quite a long time. I choose the latter and push the pedal down hard to kill the 'Shangri-La' ahead. And how could any speed junkie even resist the urge, especially when Bryan Adams is singing "Life is an open road..." on the car stereo. I zoom past all the road signs, unnoticed as they watch me in horror, while I take a right turn ready for another empty stretch. No one else but a speed junkie or a WRC fan can understand the thrill associated to speed.
A good 5-10 mins of speed driving, and suddenly I see the traffic cops ahead hidden in the trees from a distance and I try hard to push the brakes now to get back within limits. If you are driving in Goa these days, you need to be alert and look in multi dimensions, you never know when the traffic cops 'arise' and you start wondering, "Ye kaha se prakat ho gaye aur wo bhi Sunday ko.....Is this the Treta Yuga? Wasn't I in the Kali Yuga already?". Meanwhile one of the cops signals me to pull over. At this instance, Katherine Hepburn starts whispering in my ears "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" as if to provoke me for another traffic violation and a serious offence. I shut her up and pull over this time feeling stupid while at the same time cursing the traffic cops and the unforeseen turn of events. In just a matter of seconds I start fantasizing the Treta Yuga, me driving a chariot on an empty stretch of dirt road at full speed of the horse, and the demon king of 'Speed Control' [laughing sarcastically with bigger horns than me, probably as big as the Texas Longhorn :D] appearing without warning with sophisticated gadgets in his hand, slapping a ticket on me for over speeding a horse!! All these fantasies, because I was frustrated to have been caught for my first traffic violation.
Jokes apart, I love the traffic cops here in Goa and India. We don't follow the American System where in the Cops would say "Will you please step out of the Vehicle Sir. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used..bla bla bla". The words "Sir" and "Please" are literally absent in the vocabulary of the traffic cops here in India and yes forget about your 'rights' anyway. I greet the cop and ask him about the matter as if I didn't realize my offence. He straightaway asks for my driving licence and passes it on to the other cop while the third one has already started writing a ticket. The Cop sitting inside informs me about the offence and shows me the photo proof on his high resolution digi cam fitted onto a gadget that looks like some laser gun. There it was, the Caribbean blue with a sexy stance on an empty stretch with a fantastic background and a figure at the bottom reading '88'. I asked the cop if I could get a copy and he gives me that 'back off' stare and I get back to the Cop writing the ticket. I was alarmed to see the way he caught me on cam from such a distance, braking down would have not made any sense really. Technology can kill!! I pay the fine of Rs 300, collect my driving licence with the ticket, get back in the car, start the engine and drive away feeling absolutely stupid for committing my first traffic offence. This time I watch out for all the road signs and drive responsibly while I imagine them laughing out loud over my plight.
P.S. :- The above post is solely meant for entertainment purpose and the author urges the public to drive sensibly and responsibly obeying all the traffic rules and regulations.
As I drove past the road sign on the NH17 along a vast empty stretch from Panjim to Vasco on a sunday morning, with one eye on the road sign displaying '70' and the other on the irresistible empty stretch that lay ahead, I had to make a choice. Either go by the rules as a responsible driver as usual[or should I say occasional?] or break the rules and give way for some adrenaline rush that's been building up inside for quite a long time. I choose the latter and push the pedal down hard to kill the 'Shangri-La' ahead. And how could any speed junkie even resist the urge, especially when Bryan Adams is singing "Life is an open road..." on the car stereo. I zoom past all the road signs, unnoticed as they watch me in horror, while I take a right turn ready for another empty stretch. No one else but a speed junkie or a WRC fan can understand the thrill associated to speed.
A good 5-10 mins of speed driving, and suddenly I see the traffic cops ahead hidden in the trees from a distance and I try hard to push the brakes now to get back within limits. If you are driving in Goa these days, you need to be alert and look in multi dimensions, you never know when the traffic cops 'arise' and you start wondering, "Ye kaha se prakat ho gaye aur wo bhi Sunday ko.....Is this the Treta Yuga? Wasn't I in the Kali Yuga already?". Meanwhile one of the cops signals me to pull over. At this instance, Katherine Hepburn starts whispering in my ears "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" as if to provoke me for another traffic violation and a serious offence. I shut her up and pull over this time feeling stupid while at the same time cursing the traffic cops and the unforeseen turn of events. In just a matter of seconds I start fantasizing the Treta Yuga, me driving a chariot on an empty stretch of dirt road at full speed of the horse, and the demon king of 'Speed Control' [laughing sarcastically with bigger horns than me, probably as big as the Texas Longhorn :D] appearing without warning with sophisticated gadgets in his hand, slapping a ticket on me for over speeding a horse!! All these fantasies, because I was frustrated to have been caught for my first traffic violation.
Jokes apart, I love the traffic cops here in Goa and India. We don't follow the American System where in the Cops would say "Will you please step out of the Vehicle Sir. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used..bla bla bla". The words "Sir" and "Please" are literally absent in the vocabulary of the traffic cops here in India and yes forget about your 'rights' anyway. I greet the cop and ask him about the matter as if I didn't realize my offence. He straightaway asks for my driving licence and passes it on to the other cop while the third one has already started writing a ticket. The Cop sitting inside informs me about the offence and shows me the photo proof on his high resolution digi cam fitted onto a gadget that looks like some laser gun. There it was, the Caribbean blue with a sexy stance on an empty stretch with a fantastic background and a figure at the bottom reading '88'. I asked the cop if I could get a copy and he gives me that 'back off' stare and I get back to the Cop writing the ticket. I was alarmed to see the way he caught me on cam from such a distance, braking down would have not made any sense really. Technology can kill!! I pay the fine of Rs 300, collect my driving licence with the ticket, get back in the car, start the engine and drive away feeling absolutely stupid for committing my first traffic offence. This time I watch out for all the road signs and drive responsibly while I imagine them laughing out loud over my plight.
P.S. :- The above post is solely meant for entertainment purpose and the author urges the public to drive sensibly and responsibly obeying all the traffic rules and regulations.


Haha, thats realy funny.cnt imagine u doing that tho! Bt once in a while its gud 2 act out of character an do sumthn daring. At least nw u hav a story 2 tl ur kids sumday:)
ReplyDelete