Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am here!!



Oh..Well!

Finally I am here and doing what I long intend to do. Now that I have a net connection at my disposal, hands on the keyboard, and the will to get out of the overcoat of a "Sloth" (yes a sloth, I couldn't find a lazy creature for comparison, perhaps I am too lazy to fit into the human race),I  wouldn't mind playing my fingers across the keyboard to get things on the trot. Imagine a human (I won't add 'being' here) moving at the rate of 0.5 meters per second!!!

I won't consider myself good enough at writing (not even close to 'bad'), but well an attempt is worth anyway. The whole purpose of starting this blog is to give a vent to my thoughts about life and some of the things which fascinate me and I wish to share the same. “Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.”
-E.L.Doctorow

It's really strange and amazing the way we have evolved, from writing on stone/clay tablets, tortoise shells, tree trunks, leaves, paper to using the virtual space and countless media (Email, SMS, IM) in the 'Digital Era' that we live today to express our thoughts. Nonetheless all these beautiful media have worked to the core in spreading the message across (and fairly quick these days). From the time human beings realized the need for a more dependable method of recording the complexities of trade and administration that outgrew the powers of memory around 4BC, to the present day of the information revolution, there has been a tremendous evolution in the writing system which has blessed us with a zillion count of historical records that can be deciphered. I would love to do a research on this sometime, considering my limited knowledge on the topic and the dementia that has lately crippled the part of my brain harboring history that I learnt in school.

Anyways, I would like to dedicate my first post to the history of writing itself and to the 4 Civilizations, namely Mesopotamia, China, Egypt and Mesoamerica which have blessed  us with the precious gift of writing that continues to make a big difference to our lives today (including me).

And for the inquisitive minds, those are 'Tartaria' tablets at the top considered to be the earliest known forms of writing :)

Ciao.

1 comment:

  1. Good start bro.. let us see some more blogs from you... keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete