Came across this interesting article on Radical Honesty, a movement cum self improvement program developed by psychotherapist Brad Blanton, a PhD from the University of Texas who came up with a Best Seller titled "RADICAL HONESTY-How to transform your life by telling the truth" which focuses on ways to control self deception and lying to others (generally 'white lies' which could relatively cause a minor discord if uncovered, but in a way beneficial to the receiver/listener). Radical honesty has more to do with the objective observations and the subjective judgments taking place in our minds and being conscious enough to separate the two and understand each of them before coming to a definite conclusion. Blanton insists that life would be more merrier, if we just stop lying and tell the truth all the time, possibly without any sort of filter in place between the mind and the tongue. An absolutely vague idea considering the World we live in today, but something to vehemently ponder upon.
In our daily lives, we succumb to telling a lie to people around us, be it to the boss at work trying to save our arse from getting fired or judged, our friends for a lack of trust, our love for the fear of loosing them, or any one remotely or emotionally linked to us. More often these are 'white lies' or 'half truths' as i mentioned earlier which aren't necessarily harmful to any relationship or bonding. I myself confess to using them quite a number of times, just because I think I am trying to be rational each time I have to lie (under circumstances) and I am not ashamed of it as I know I am not the only one. I can very well say I was an honest kid in school since I was taught to be honest at school as well as at home, but never really understood the textbook meaning until my strong beliefs were shattered one day by being a witness to an act of dishonesty. Our belief system changes and adapts itself to the experiences in life. I am rather more inclined to the words 'trust' and 'belief' than being 'honest'. As an example, when I talk to my best friends in whom I confide, I tend to be honest and open because I trust them more than anyone else in the same way that they reciprocate (this is my belief, though I am very judgemental and have had a hard time trusting some one fully in life). I have even caught people lying to me, but never really bothered to let them know about it, cos if I were to, I would have to think of the repercussions and that's where the whole process of filtering or rational thinking comes into picture. I am sure the phenomenon applies to most of us at some point in our lives. And I don't rule out the possibility of authentic individuals out there following the thumb rule of "Honesty is the best policy" on this planet either. Fortunately, I believe I have had the privilege of knowing some really genuine and honest people till date, and I have always respected their frank nature, although it is tough not to feel offended by the candor a couple of times. To give a brief idea, just try and answer these questions honestly.
- How honest is your reply to a not so close friend when he asks you about a problem you are facing in life which you don't really want to share?
- How often do you lie so as not to hurt someone's feelings?
- How honest a critic have you been to an office/school colleague when asked for a judgement of his/her skills/aptitude?
To commence with an argument, one can say "What if I start being honest and spill the truth and the other person doesn't really take it in the right stance?How sure can I be of not offending him/her?" Then you ought to know about 'Crocker's Rules' stated below:
"Crocker's Rules means that you have accepted full responsibility for the operation of your own mind - if you're offended, it's your fault. Anyone is allowed to call you a moron and claim to be doing you a favor. (Which, in point of fact, they would be. One of the big problems with this culture is that every one's afraid to tell you you're wrong, or they think they have to dance around it.) Two people using Crocker's Rules should be able to communicate all relevant information in the minimum amount of time, without paraphrasing or social formatting. Obviously, don't declare yourself to be operating by Crocker's Rules unless you have that kind of mental discipline.
Note that Crocker's Rules does not mean you can insult people; it means that other people don't have to worry about whether they are insulting you. Crocker's Rules are a discipline, not a privilege. Furthermore, taking advantage of Crocker's Rules does not imply reciprocity. How could it? Crocker's Rules are something you do for yourself, to maximize information received - not something you grit your teeth over and do as a favor.
"Crocker's Rules" are named after Lee Daniel Crocker"
LOL..I am already in two minds right now questioning my integrity yet again, not being able to decide what's morally right!!I guess they should come up with a new term for phobia of being Honest...hehe
Though the idea of Radical Honesty can create wonders in our life in terms of personal relationships, I doubt if it can really work in the settings within which we live today. As far as I am concerned, I know I am being honest to the people who are honest to me and at the same time being dishonest to the people who hate being honest. I swear I am just being Honest while I type this :)
For some one who would like to read more on this topic :-
http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Radical-Honesty
http://www.esquire.com/print-this/honesty0707
In our daily lives, we succumb to telling a lie to people around us, be it to the boss at work trying to save our arse from getting fired or judged, our friends for a lack of trust, our love for the fear of loosing them, or any one remotely or emotionally linked to us. More often these are 'white lies' or 'half truths' as i mentioned earlier which aren't necessarily harmful to any relationship or bonding. I myself confess to using them quite a number of times, just because I think I am trying to be rational each time I have to lie (under circumstances) and I am not ashamed of it as I know I am not the only one. I can very well say I was an honest kid in school since I was taught to be honest at school as well as at home, but never really understood the textbook meaning until my strong beliefs were shattered one day by being a witness to an act of dishonesty. Our belief system changes and adapts itself to the experiences in life. I am rather more inclined to the words 'trust' and 'belief' than being 'honest'. As an example, when I talk to my best friends in whom I confide, I tend to be honest and open because I trust them more than anyone else in the same way that they reciprocate (this is my belief, though I am very judgemental and have had a hard time trusting some one fully in life). I have even caught people lying to me, but never really bothered to let them know about it, cos if I were to, I would have to think of the repercussions and that's where the whole process of filtering or rational thinking comes into picture. I am sure the phenomenon applies to most of us at some point in our lives. And I don't rule out the possibility of authentic individuals out there following the thumb rule of "Honesty is the best policy" on this planet either. Fortunately, I believe I have had the privilege of knowing some really genuine and honest people till date, and I have always respected their frank nature, although it is tough not to feel offended by the candor a couple of times. To give a brief idea, just try and answer these questions honestly.
- How honest is your reply to a not so close friend when he asks you about a problem you are facing in life which you don't really want to share?
- How often do you lie so as not to hurt someone's feelings?
- How honest a critic have you been to an office/school colleague when asked for a judgement of his/her skills/aptitude?
To commence with an argument, one can say "What if I start being honest and spill the truth and the other person doesn't really take it in the right stance?How sure can I be of not offending him/her?" Then you ought to know about 'Crocker's Rules' stated below:
"Crocker's Rules means that you have accepted full responsibility for the operation of your own mind - if you're offended, it's your fault. Anyone is allowed to call you a moron and claim to be doing you a favor. (Which, in point of fact, they would be. One of the big problems with this culture is that every one's afraid to tell you you're wrong, or they think they have to dance around it.) Two people using Crocker's Rules should be able to communicate all relevant information in the minimum amount of time, without paraphrasing or social formatting. Obviously, don't declare yourself to be operating by Crocker's Rules unless you have that kind of mental discipline.
Note that Crocker's Rules does not mean you can insult people; it means that other people don't have to worry about whether they are insulting you. Crocker's Rules are a discipline, not a privilege. Furthermore, taking advantage of Crocker's Rules does not imply reciprocity. How could it? Crocker's Rules are something you do for yourself, to maximize information received - not something you grit your teeth over and do as a favor.
"Crocker's Rules" are named after Lee Daniel Crocker"
LOL..I am already in two minds right now questioning my integrity yet again, not being able to decide what's morally right!!I guess they should come up with a new term for phobia of being Honest...hehe
Though the idea of Radical Honesty can create wonders in our life in terms of personal relationships, I doubt if it can really work in the settings within which we live today. As far as I am concerned, I know I am being honest to the people who are honest to me and at the same time being dishonest to the people who hate being honest. I swear I am just being Honest while I type this :)
For some one who would like to read more on this topic :-
http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Radical-Honesty
http://www.esquire.com/print-this/honesty0707


I am a regular reader of this blog and i must say your blog really rocks...
ReplyDeleteWay to go Mr. Vishal... Keep up the good work...
Let see some more articles flowing into your blog...
Bravo Vishal !!!!!! Bravo!!!!!!
Thanks Amiel :)
ReplyDeleteI am surprised to know that someone actually follows my blog. I hope to make it interesting in the long run..