If some one isn’t familiar with the title above, to let you know it’s the first Goan produced Marathi film written and directed by a Goan Mr. Dinesh P Bhonsle, to receive 6 nominations for the Maharashtra State Film Awards as well as the Zee Gaurav Awards. I haven’t been tracking the news lately of the Awards that the film actually managed to win but all I could say to the entire team of ‘Marmabandh’ after watching the show at Maquines Plaza, Panjim (somewhere in the last week of April if I remember) is BRAVO!!!
I won’t comment in detail on the film here, as all the relevant info is already up on the website:
http://marmabandh.com
Girish Pardeshi (who plays the lead role of Jayvant Shirodkar in the film) is fabulous. I am sure most of the Maharashtrians will recognize him that I know he appears in Marathi TV serials. His acting is pure, neat and close to perfection as any other pass out from the National School of Drama. An amazing talent who is sure to make headlines in the future. The lead female cast with Vidya Balan looks has played her role with quite a charm too.
Kudos to Dinesh P Bhonsle for such a beautiful piece of art. To actually captivate the audiences by bringing forth a piece of Goan history and drama in the real sense together with a hidden message somewhere and doing this with the first major project is an achievement in itself. I hold high regards for him and wish to see more interesting projects from him in the future. My best of wishes are always with him.
Another interesting thing I get to hear from cousins and home is that most of the film was actually shot at our ancestral home in Volvoi . I mean that sounds cool!! The pics of the shoot clicked by my bro are at the top. That's the ancestral house right at the top, Girish Pardeshi in the next one and i guess the director Dinesh Bhonsle in the 3rd pic from top. Meanwhile i was figuring out a way to put the pics down here with descriptions. Guess, will have to get used to this blogspot thingy first.
Now I actually understand my Uncle’s passionate interest in the Marathi dramas staged during the festivals in Sanquelim, Volvoi and elsewhere in Goa. He never misses them at the festivals and always incited us to take interest in such things. Perhaps we as kids never understood the importance until we grew wise enough to understand what theater really is. I feel there is no better stage in the world for an artist than the theater to test himself and prove his real abilities and talent. Luckily, one can still get a glimpse of the stage dramas at the festivals held in the villages of Goa with males playing female characters and keeping the tradition alive. I really miss those plays maan, the audience scrambling and pushing each other to get as close to the stage as possible, looking at the wide-open gleaming eyes and those ever changing facial expressions on the eager faces in the crowd, those beautiful and meaningful marathi traditional folk songs sung by the casts in the act, those sudden bursts of laughter in the crowd, and finally the loud and thundering applause followed by that most satisfying feeling of a job well done and appraised, that the artists would radiate across. Damn..,I don’t recollect the last time I went through all this… If you still didn’t get the feelings right, I suggest come to Goa during the traditional festive seasons to watch the Marathi plays and you’ll be mesmerized for the entire duration of the act, of course only if you have a penchant for theatrical art ie.. Wish I could go back in time again or at least try and savor these esteemed traditions in the near future before the vise of ‘Civilization’ pushes them to oblivion.
I won’t comment in detail on the film here, as all the relevant info is already up on the website:
http://marmabandh.com
Girish Pardeshi (who plays the lead role of Jayvant Shirodkar in the film) is fabulous. I am sure most of the Maharashtrians will recognize him that I know he appears in Marathi TV serials. His acting is pure, neat and close to perfection as any other pass out from the National School of Drama. An amazing talent who is sure to make headlines in the future. The lead female cast with Vidya Balan looks has played her role with quite a charm too.
Kudos to Dinesh P Bhonsle for such a beautiful piece of art. To actually captivate the audiences by bringing forth a piece of Goan history and drama in the real sense together with a hidden message somewhere and doing this with the first major project is an achievement in itself. I hold high regards for him and wish to see more interesting projects from him in the future. My best of wishes are always with him.
Another interesting thing I get to hear from cousins and home is that most of the film was actually shot at our ancestral home in Volvoi . I mean that sounds cool!! The pics of the shoot clicked by my bro are at the top. That's the ancestral house right at the top, Girish Pardeshi in the next one and i guess the director Dinesh Bhonsle in the 3rd pic from top. Meanwhile i was figuring out a way to put the pics down here with descriptions. Guess, will have to get used to this blogspot thingy first.
Now I actually understand my Uncle’s passionate interest in the Marathi dramas staged during the festivals in Sanquelim, Volvoi and elsewhere in Goa. He never misses them at the festivals and always incited us to take interest in such things. Perhaps we as kids never understood the importance until we grew wise enough to understand what theater really is. I feel there is no better stage in the world for an artist than the theater to test himself and prove his real abilities and talent. Luckily, one can still get a glimpse of the stage dramas at the festivals held in the villages of Goa with males playing female characters and keeping the tradition alive. I really miss those plays maan, the audience scrambling and pushing each other to get as close to the stage as possible, looking at the wide-open gleaming eyes and those ever changing facial expressions on the eager faces in the crowd, those beautiful and meaningful marathi traditional folk songs sung by the casts in the act, those sudden bursts of laughter in the crowd, and finally the loud and thundering applause followed by that most satisfying feeling of a job well done and appraised, that the artists would radiate across. Damn..,I don’t recollect the last time I went through all this… If you still didn’t get the feelings right, I suggest come to Goa during the traditional festive seasons to watch the Marathi plays and you’ll be mesmerized for the entire duration of the act, of course only if you have a penchant for theatrical art ie.. Wish I could go back in time again or at least try and savor these esteemed traditions in the near future before the vise of ‘Civilization’ pushes them to oblivion.


No comments:
Post a Comment